[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Inductance (fwd) [correction]

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Sunday, April 05, 1998 5:32 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Inductance (fwd) [correction]

Hi Mike,
             Apart from my very own measurements, I would be happy to
supply as many references as you want:

The problem is that maximum inductance does not correspond with
minimum self-capacitance for a given coil diameter. Q = SQRT(L/C)/Rac

 #1: RF CIRCUIT DESIGN   Chris Bowick  ISBN 0-672-
21868- 2     pub. Howard W. Sams & Co.

P.17 Heading: Single-Layer Air-Core Inductor Design

The author first gives a variation on Wheeler's Inductance Formula
then goes on to say: "Keep in mind that even though optimum Q is
attained when the length of the coil (l) is equal to its diameter
(2r), this sometimes not practical and, in many cases, the length is
much greater than the diameter". (He is dealing with ideals vs
shape practicalities in building coils for radio circuits.)

#2: Electronic and Radio Engineering 4th Ed.  F.E. Terman
    pub. McGraw-Hill

p.32: second paragraph

"In designing a single-layer coil, the highest Q in proportion to
size is obtained when the length of the winding is somewhat less than
the diameter of the coil".  Here, the author lists two references at
the bottom of the page. Immediately below this piece, the author
shows a graph for a coil with h/d = 0.96  The rest of what he says in
this paragraph is well worth quoting and agrees with measurements I
have conducted.
     " The number of turns required is then determined by the exact
ratio of length to diameter that is selected, by the diameter, and by
the inductance desired; when these factors are all settled, the
optimum wire size corresponds to a conductor diameter that is between
0.5 and 0.75 times the distance between the centres of adjacent
turns. If one compares the Q of two coils having the same inductance
and the same ratio of length to diameter but different physical size,
then the coil that is larger will have the highest Q provided it is
wound with wire of optimum size."

When discussing single layer solenoids in the context of Tesla Coils,
it should always be borne in mind that we are dealing with a
*particular* case of connecting these inductors. They are connected
to and worked against ground. For example, while Medhurst's Cself
formula works brilliantly in this context, it would utterly fail for
a coil in outer space unless that coil had a ground plane connected
to it and sited below it.

Malcolm