[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

primary cap

----------
From:  Hollmike [SMTP:Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, April 03, 1998 6:44 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: primary cap

John,
   Thank you for your reply.  As I wrote to DCC, I was really only going to
try to push my primary cap to 0.015 uF(about 40 - 50% higher than the
impedance match).   I may pull two of the plates and let it drop to 0.012 uF.
This may not be too unsafe for the neons, but I will think about it some more.
I guess if I removed some shunts I could hotrod the neons a bit(sounds like
too much work to me though).
    The whole reason for all of this is that I recently replaced the 4" toroid
with a 6" one and found that I was short sighted in the extra turns that I
left on my primary originally.  My other option for retuning the beast is to
solder about 1/4 turn to the existing primary.  I didn't like that option and
would rather increase the capacitance instead.  I then thought if I went a
little further, I could actually reduce the number of turns by one or so.  I
will  not take the chance on ruining my neons and probably bite the bullet and
add the extra tubing to my primary.
    Thanks for the help,
Mike