[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Testing

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 97 02:41:07 UT
From: Larry Robertson <LWRobertson-at-classic.msn-dot-com>
To: Tesla Builders <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Cc: chip-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Testing

Hi ...

A short progress report, partially to see if this goes through.
I calculate about 10% of incoming mail is missing, and around
50% of outgoing disappears into hyperspace. I'm leaning
towards blaming MSN as their E-mail is suffering an upgrade.

Parts are slowly accumulating for the DC drive, Alltronics
delivered a huge 2 uF 60kV pulse discharge cap for use as the
accumulator, and we have inquiries in for HV diodes - which
don't look to be all that inexpensive. Resonance caps still need to
be constructed or bought, and a final design for the rotary thought
out. It should be interesting to watch the transition from pulse
mode to streamer mode as the speed of the rotary is ramped up.

My initial plan was to pulse charge the resonance cap through
the storage cap, the discharge it straight to "ground" on the
next presentation of the rotary electrodes. Then I thought of
a way to pulse charge it on every presentation by reversing
the polarity of the current on every other presentation.

It seems to me pulse charging to (e.g..) +15 kV; then -15kV when
the polarity is reversed, should be the same as charging to
30 kV, then discharging to ground, but without overvolting the
capacitor, except the ringup would be doubled. I've not yet
figured out what this might mean to the cap.

Happy coiling to all
LR