[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitors?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 09:15:37 +1000
From: The Meyer Family <meyer-at-webfront-dot-net.au>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Capacitors?

Hello,
	Thank you for your help with the paralleling of the neon sign transformers
.... The coils output suddenly went from a feeble 12 inches up to a bright
16-18 inch streamer. As I am using saltwater caps, I have been advised to
build a poly cap. The problem is that all the designs for poly caps I have
seen are designed for 10-12kV AC operation and my trannies are all 15kV
AC!! I would rather build one larger capacitor than build several smaller
ones and gang them up in series and parallel to get the required
capacitance. Does anyone have any plans for a 15kV AC rated cap at around
0.018 - 0.02?

Thanks
Andrew Meyer

meyer-at-webfront-dot-net.au

[ NOTE: If you are using 60mil poly (that's 0.060" or 1.5mm) you can use
it for 15kV neons just fine.  I only popped my cap when running my rotary
at about 1200 pulses per second -- Chip]