[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My Coil: Problems?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:01:15 -0400 (EDT)
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: My Coil: Problems?

<<
 Hey, I am back. I was away for a while but now I'm back at coiling.
<SNIP>
 concentrate all of the coil's output (torroided) on a breakout
point. Now I
get
 sparks all around the torroid and the breakout point. When I remove the
 breakout point I see a lot of discharge from higher secondary windings to
lower
 ones.

 I'd appreciate any input on these.

 Thanx

 Tom Heiber

Tom,

You now have 120 ma of current available (theoretically) and perhaps your
spark gap isn't quenching as well at this higher power level.  When I used to
run neon transformers on my 6" coil, I used a cylindrical spark gap with 6
total gaps of about .028" each and it worked well.  If you have sparks or
arcing on the seconday, you either are way out of tune or your coupling is
too tight.  Find the best tune and if you still have the problem, try raising
up the secondary (up away from the primary) about 1.0" at a time until the
problem goes away.

Ed Sonderman