[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring where quench occurs (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 14:26:28 -0600 (MDT)
From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Measuring where quench occurs

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 25, 1997 3:51 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Measuring where quench occurs

<<
>Hi all,

> I have recently been watching waveforms of my coil on a scope. The scope is
> set up about 8' from the coil with a short wire on the end of the probe. I
> clearly see two notches and then a very slow low amplitude decay. By
> varying K the number of rings in each notch changes ( of couse ), but what
> am I actually seeing here does this show that the gap is quenching after
> the second notch ? I wouldn't have thought so because the secondary will
> continue to ring until the energy has been disipated ?

Jason,

If you see two notches, this means you are quenching on the third
notch.  This is because quenching has to be referenced to what's
happening in the primary.  If you quench at the first notch, you'll see
no notches at all in the secondary, just a nice ringdown.

> My tests have been carried out at low power levels so far, but I found that
> when I turned up the power sometimes I would see a third notch.

This would be forth notch quench.  You may want to experiment with
varying your coupling, tuning, and toroid size, the coil should actually
quench better at higher powers, due to better spark loading draining
power more quickly out of the gap.  You may need to improve the
gap a little too?  Using my new (simple) sync gap, I quench on 6th
notch at low power and anywhere from 1st to 3rd notch at high power.

> Do other people measure the quench by directly measuring
> accross the gap ?

I use the same antenna method you use because it's easiest.  But
you must add a notch to what you see in order to report what's
happening in the primary which is the basis of reference for reporting
quench measurements.

John Freau