[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

And what of the FCC?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 08:53:13 -0600 (MDT)
From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: And what of the FCC?

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 25, 1997 3:40 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- And what of the FCC?

        Very good post, Mr. Schecht.  Verrrry good.

        By contrast and contradistinction, I'm going sides-reversed
        with a very simple bit of practical seat-of-pants advice:

        When you are doing something wrong, people let you know be-
        fore an arrest warrant is issued -- so to speak.

        If you are engaged in some activity which has marginal stand-
        ing in the law, and it is annoying (rather than hurting)
        someone (or group of someones), invariably those someones (or
        the village constabulary itself) will ask you to stop one
        way or another.

                                - - - - - - - -

        You then have a decision to make:  You can choose to stand
        your righteous ground (and risk arrest -- which may well be
        inevitable if you stand that ground long enough).

        Else, in your own self-interest you can cease and desist.

                                - - - - - - - -

        It is  =quite rare=  for The Law come after you upon hearing
        of some nebulous wrong-doing on your part -- until and unless
        they have spoken to you first and given you a chance to act
        sensibly and responsibly (their definition of same you may
        be sure).  Depends to some degree on the community in which
        you live -- and your race/income level -- and how freaky you
        dress/live.

        You may also be sure that there are glaring exceptions,
        to this  "Oh please, sir, won't you just stop" approach
        to enforcing the law, e.g.:

                1)  You are openly hurting another person.
                        Such as bashing little old ladies over the
                        head and stealing their purses, or committing
                        holdups at the local Quikie Mart.

                2)  You are grievously offending society.
                        Such as dealing dope out of the back of
                        your car to kids in the school yard.

                3)  It's something very disgusting (to most people)
                    and you are doing it openly.
                        Such as F-ing animals, or small children, or
                        cadavers.

                4)  It's a high-profile crime of the type which
                    automatically receives a lot of press coverage,
                        Such as dealing large amounts of dope;
                        prostitution in public locales; car
                        (and plane) hijacking.

                5)  It's something  =everyone knows (!)=  is wrong
                        Such as driving drunk or without a license..

                5)  Etc., etc.  You get the idea.

        In short, most anything which involves physical confrontation
        (and harm or perceived harm) to another specific person or
        group.

                                - - - - - - - -

        The above applies to all manner of marginal activities such as
        gun sports, fireworks and the recreational use of explosives,
        public nudity, and all like manner of victimless "crimes".

        Police and prosecutors want cut-and-dried, easy-to-prove-
        in-court type cases.  The technical intricacies of Tesla
        coiling (taking place on private property - out of sight of
        the public)?   Who has time for that?  (There are too many
        Zoomers to clean out of the ghetto first).

                                Been there, done that, got the
                                T-shirt, and sneaked back-stage to
                                get it autographed. (That's when
                                they told me to stop) -- in
                                Detroit, USA

                                Robert Michaels

        P.S.:  You do have a Faraday cage in which you run
        your large coil, right?  (A good Faraday cage is  =a lot=
        cheaper than a good criminal attorney [if you can even
        find one] -- Michael's Law).

====< Reproducing Mr. Schecht's Excellent Post - in toto >==============