[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

My Coil: Problems?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 19:50:38 -0400
From: Tom Heiber <theiber-at-lonet.ca>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: My Coil: Problems?

Hey, I am back. I was away for a while but now I'm back at coiling.

Anyways, I'll get straigth to the point. I have a medium size neon xfrmer coil.
The Neon xfrmr is a 12Kv -at- 60mA (Jefferson) . Anyway I tried to add a second
xfrmer so i bought one. A different company though since I couldn't find a
Jefferson, This one is a Allanson. Anyhow. Both xfrmers are 12Kv -at- 60mA, BUT.
The Jefferson indicates 720VA on the plate while the Allanson shows 360VA. How
can that be? Mathematically it should be 720, right?

I have decided to connect them together in parallel. Making note of alligning
the polarities so the xformers work in phase.
However It altered my coil operation drastically.
First of all. The sound the spark gap makes it TOTALY different. Previously on
1 xfrmer (4 gaps, series) it sounded a high pitched steady tone, loud. Now on 2
xfrmrs it sounds kinda choppy. The freq. of the sound also lowered (probably
because of the choppines). I have not altered the capacitance nor the primary
tap. Yet I see a small increase in output. Before I had 2 xfrmrs. I was able to
concentrate all of the coil's output (torroided) on a breakout point. Now I get
sparks all around the torroid and the breakout point. When I remove the
breakout point I see a lot of discharge from higher secondary windings to lower
ones.

I'd appreciate any input on these.

Thanx

Tom Heiber