[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: neon rewind

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 22:24:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: KRAMPF-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: neon rewind

<<I have a few half dead neons and was wondering about rewinding them.>>

Don't do it!  At least until you are sure you have to.  I have depotted a lot
of neons and have never found one that needed to be rewound.  They go out
because the high voltage arcs through the tar and carbonizes a trail,
shorting the trans.  If you remove the tar and reinsulate the secondaries
with corona dope and mica plates, you will have a perfectly good trans that
will pull a lot more current and give you some wonderful sparks.

Rob Krampf