[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary Qs

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 23, 1997 2:32 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Primary Qs

Hi Mark,

Exactly my reasoning.

>  Do you have enough primary inductance to operate with
> both your 25 nF CP caps in series, thereby increasing Zsurge a bit?  This
> would require about 25.9 uH for the low frequency unit and 11.5 uH for the
> high frequency coil.  This would raise Zsurge to 45 and 30 ohms
> respectively, which is where I prefer to operate these days.

Me too. Unfortunately I don't have the primary voltage to make up for
the loss in capacitance.

>         Sorry to learn of the death of your NST.  I have killed several.
> Thanks to Glascoe, I now understand a bit more about resonant charging and
> its effect on things in its path.  I am building a new 10 kV D.C. supply to
> do some single shot experiments and have wound some 14.5 mH chokes for each
> side of the supply to try to keep kickback out.  We shall see how well it
> works in the next few nights.

I am delighted it happened because I learnt a hell of a lot (and I
must apologize here to the big boys who undoubtably know all this).
It seems there are a bunch of things conspiring against static gaps.
Opening them up to use resonant charging increases their losses and
also subjects the transformer to much higher voltages at 2Fmains.
That second one is obviated by using an external charging choke.
    The other problem with the wide gap though is that it tends to go
out earlier in the piece. As I found, that is kickback generation
material. I'm in the process of learning to convert induction motors
for sync gaps which, based on much evidence from Skip and John would
seem to be the ideal choice of gap as long as the dwell time is not
excessively short.
    I've never had a problem ever with single shot testing from a
HVDC supply and it is the most potent weapon in my experimental
armoury.

Regards,
Malcolm