[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Burned Secondary...

From: 	NTesla[SMTP:ntesla-at-ntesla.csd.sc.edu]
Reply To: 	ntesla-at-ntesla.csd.sc.edu
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 23, 1997 9:01 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Burned Secondary...

At 08:02 AM 9/11/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

[snip]

>        Assuming the bottom turn of your secondary is even with or above the
>bottom turn of the primary, you are not over-coupled.  For a coil of this
>size, I would shoot for a K of 0.18-0.22 range.  I am curious, however,
>about your operating frequency.  Your primary is tuned to around 125 kHz if
>I made the right assumptions about your geometry.  Your secondary is
>self-resonant around 300 kHz, and is probably operating with a resonant
>frequency around 180 kHz, if I am figuring the capacitance of your toroid
>right.  If this is the case, you will get some rather nasty standing waves
>on your coil, which could explain your results.  You may want to go back and
>check your tuning.
>Regards,
>Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D.

Excellent! Ok, I had two toroids, stacked one upon the other, each one 24"
x 4" if that makes any difference...I like the standing waves idea because
it's only the bottom 1/3 to 2/3 that's burning. If wire insulation was the
problem, (which it still very well may be), I'd expect the thing to be
burning up all over, *especially* at the top, not the bottom.
In fact...DOH!  I may have detuned the coil for a test-fun-thing I like to
do that I won't mention on the list, but it has to do with standing on a
big sheet of lucite barefooted. ;)  (no flames please...it won't make any
difference ;)

So now, two questions:

1) Would tapping at 10 turns (the usual point) make that much of a difference?

2) Where can I get the simulation program you're using? <grin>

Thanks,

Dan