[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neons and Sync Gaps

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Monday, September 22, 1997 6:52 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Neons and Sync Gaps

Hi John, all,
               More cogitating on the dying neon problem suggests
another reason why the sync gap doesn't appear to kill neons readily
and also supports my theory of why the kickbacks are the major
killers. As the electrodes draw closer, the gap maintaining voltage is
also dropping and I would think the dwell time this allows makes sure
the gap is effectively shunting the transformer for as long as it
takes for secondary energy to all but disappear. In short, it seems
as if sync gaps have every reason to be the ultimate choice for neon
operation. Now I've got to have a crack at modifying motors as I've
decided that I will no longer use static gaps. Glad I found out now.

Malcolm