[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flybacks (was To Kevin)

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 18, 1997 12:04 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Flybacks (was To Kevin)

  To All -

 You would know that the flyback transformer was not a Tesla coil if you
knew how a Tesla coil works. The flyback transformer works by an inductive
"kick" according to the equation   V = L di/dt .  It is basically an
induction coil. It produces a high voltage at low amperage and is good only
for circuits that require low power. It works by OPENING the inductive
circuit. The output is  only a PULSE that is not capable of producing much power

  The Tesla coil is a dual RCL tuned circuit. It produces an ultra high
voltage at large currents and is good for ultra high power outputs. It is an
air core resonant power transformer. It uses a dampened sine wave and
produces a high voltage when the circuit is CLOSED. SINE WAVES will produce
larger outputs compared to the PULSES of flybacks. There is a lot more about
Tesla coils that make them unique and capable of doing the job that Tesla
needed for his world electrical system. Up until the 1930's only a TC could
produce the high voltage outputs required for a million volt XRay machine.

  John Couture