[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: coulomb madness!

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 16, 1997 6:35 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: coulomb madness!

At 08:42 AM 9/16/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

I have not logged one single post in this current debate.  I have been
quoted from old posts, however.

The original coulomb was defined as the amount of separated E.S. charge
which would give a specific amount of force at a given distance.  This is
STATIC, POTENTIAL ENERGY.

Following this, the coulomb has been linked, coupled and cajoled through a
number of contortions to make it a dynamic living thing instead of the
static potential energy from whence it originated.  Once the electron was
discovered, they even gave a  specific number of electrons (charge units) to
the venerable old coulomb).  It is a mess at best and I am sure a million
references to numerous linkages can be found and a small book could be
written (and should be) on the history of the gloroius union of the ES with
the EM.  Suffice it to say we live in a current carrying wire wound world
with magnetic forces doing almost 100% of our work.

To most, the ES world is a dead study.  A backwater morrass of units and
themes which don't play well in today's world.  All real world, day to day
engineering is built around whirling wires in magnetic fields.  I'll let it
rest there and let those who want to gone out on their own in the ES world
either do it or not.

If it is embarked on with the idea that it might be a snipe hunt, then that
is what it will be.  If one is willing to demand more than what one is
taught in the matter, then there is a chance for understanding.  If one puts
all of his eggs in this basket then the risk of sliping over the edge into
the nether world of the "looneys" is a very real possiblility.

I often find myself astride the extremes of having been taught how it is (EM
schooling) and seeing with wide eyed school boy wonder some amazing things
which might lead me too far afield.

I recently saw a Farnsworth/Hirsch fusor multipacting ions within the simple
electrostatic field control of a rectified 30ma Neon sign transformer.
There are more jobs for ES in the future than we could possibly imagine.  I
look at Xerography as the modern awakening of this sleeping giant.

Richard Hull, TCBOR