[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Glass/poly and more...

From: 	Daryl P. Dacko[SMTP:mycrump-at-cris-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 16, 1997 6:35 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Glass/poly and more...

At 05:30 PM 9/15/97 -0500, you wrote:

>A while back , perhaps 5 moths ago, I made a saline cap from
>a very tall cylindrical wine bottle (Rene' Junot). The ouside was
>wraped in aluminum foil, water sofner salt was poured in to the
>shoulder level, then water water added to cover, motor oil  filled
>the remaining space as a sealant.
>A small hole was drilled in the cork, and a #12 bare copper wire
>was forced through it . The wire was then worked down the length
>of the bottle as the electrode.
>
>I then let it "settle" and it seemed that the air bubbled up into the oil
>layer
>and out by itself! (cork was not fully installed).
>
>Next step was AC seasoning with about 5KV for a few hours at a time.
>Shortly after it's construction and preping, it measured 680 pf.
>I must mention that was never used in TC service, but sat on the basement
>floor for those 5 months. Now it reads 1200 pf.
>Guess using a wine bottle makes it get better with age. (I'm joking)
>
>Maybe the copper reacting with the salt is making copper cloride which
>lowers the internal resistance and thus the impedance seen by the bridge?
>
>I know you were looking for oil cap experiences, but I thought I'd throw
>this
>little experience in the ring anyway.
>
>Jim M

An interesting hypothsis follows:

Glass will absorb water, forming a hydrated layer that increases with depth
the longer it sits.

Water has a very high (I'm on vacation and lost without my books) dieletric
constant.

It would make sense to me that if glass sat in contact with water, it would
make a better cap due to it's dieletric constant increase.

Q.E.D.

Daryl