[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Glass/poly and more...

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 14, 1997 5:09 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Glass/poly and more...

Hi all,
         I've been reading with interest the ongoing discussion about
homemade caps, untimely deaths etc. Got a couple of things to say:

(1) Motor oil is a no go. I have tried it and discharge or no inside
the cap, the oil has polymerised and turned to sludge.
(2) I have given a homemade poly/transformer oil flat plate cap a
*real* thrashing now and it looks like lasting forever! Two things
have contributed to this: it was left standing in oil for nearly a
year prior to serious use (and during that time the bubbles have
slowly seeped out of it). The second is that it is built in two
sections of equal capacitance and is solely being run with the two
sections in series. I took very much to heart what Richard Hull had
to say about cap design and am completely confident of building the
ones I am going to use in the commercial job and having them last the
distance.

Malcolm