[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Parallel or Series

From: 	DavidH8083-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:DavidH8083-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 14, 1997 4:59 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Parallel or Series

In a message dated 9/14/97 3:58:52 AM, Dr. Resonance wrote:

<<Always run the sparkgap in parallel with your xmfr.  After the gap the cap
goes in series with the top (tapped) end of the primary of the resonance
xmfr. >>

This suggestion makes excellent sense to me, and yet it is exactly the
opposite of the classic Tesla Coil schematic.  Or am I looking at the wrong
end of things here?  Also, I recently received a series of books on Tesla
construction and design with maybe half dozen or so plans, and every single
one of them from the smallest tabletop to the biggest monster sticks to the
old classic schematic with the capacitor in parallel with the xmfr and the
gap in series.  Has there been a recent change of philosophy about this?  The
arc in parallel seems much more sensible, though I sort of hate to fly in the
face of Tesla's own design.

David Hutchison
davidh8083-at-aol-dot-com