[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New Terminal

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 10, 1997 1:50 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	New Terminal

Hi all,
        A little while ago I gave my coil here a run with its new top
terminal. It is clear the simple gap system is now inadequate but it
was a lot better with some air through it although it never really
fired regularly for long periods.
     I discovered that the level of ear protection I have used up to
now is barely adequate. The first discharge immediately attached to
the lathe and was fat, white and extremely loud. Straight from the
primary cap I would have believed. It was quite a sight. I can see
where Tesla might have got his 120 odd feet from now. The sparks were
doubling back on themselves. I measured one at five feet p-p. The old
much used dry-fired cap saw its last Ampere thanks to a prolonged run.
I've now popped a new one in the base :)
     I wonder what Leybold's would think if they saw their dinky demo
transformer doing this? The transformer is physically smaller and
lighter than the neon I have at home. You should have seen the
"Tesla coil" they presented in the transformer documentation. Long
and thin with a helical primary covering nearly 1/4 of the secondary
windings :(  And small to boot :(
     All I can say is thanks to the wonderful resource this list has
been in helping me achieve this type of performance.

Yeah!!!
Malcolm