[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A Puzzle

From: 	Richard Wayne Wall[SMTP:rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 07, 1997 9:39 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: A Puzzle

9/7/97

Dr. R wrote:

>> >The peak current in amps can easily be determined by measuring the
>> >total capacitance of the machine.  Divide the in coulombs by the
>> >time in sec (assume 1 microsec for most machines) and this gives
>> >the total peak current in amperes.

>Theory or not withstanding, it has come to within 2% of actual
>measured value and that works well enough for our purposes.  For
>exacting research work, I agree, it is not accurate enough.

No one can deny that a Van de Graf generator is an electrostatic device
that collects electrostatic energy on its terminal.  Your initial
comment indicates a derived EM current using Coulombs from an
electrostatic device.  Now you indicate this derived value is within 2%
of a measured value.

There is a several order of magnitude error in the experimental
comparison of EM vs ES Coulombic forces.  Not a 2% error, nor exacting
research work.

This calls into question your method of measuring current in an air
discharge of a Van de Graf generator.

RWW