[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Water rheostat?

From: 	David E. Sharpe[SMTP:sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com]
Reply To: 	sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com
Sent: 	Saturday, September 06, 1997 11:17 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Water rheostat?

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Felix

I too built this rheostat not having funds to support nichrome heaters
or the like.  I like having some resistance in the power path, if for no
other reason than to limit available short circuit in case something
decides to go "high order"!

Also a warning, be very careful about potential electrolyte's.  Baking
soda is relatively benign, only CO2 is produced.  When I built my first
rheostat I decided to use regular table salt...WRONGO!!!
When operating, the unit it produced trace amounts of CHLORINE GAS!!!
The unit electrically performed OK, but the end result was NOT
ACCEPTIBLE FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.

I added enough electrolyte to allow about 20V drop at full engagement
and full current.  The unit would successfully handle several kW
for 2-3 minutes before electrode heating, steam generation, etc.
became a concern.  If higher power is a requirement, using a car
radiator, electric fan, and natural convection cooling with a more
substantial container would allow building a liquid rheostat capable of
perhaps 10-20kW for high power machines, without huge expeditures of
$$$$$'s.

Regards

DAVE SHARPE, TCBOR