[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A Puzzle

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, September 05, 1997 1:28 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: A Puzzle

Richard Wayne Wall wrote:

[snip]
> Incidently, Van deGraf generators
> produce exceedingly low current discharges.  (Actually, TC discharges
> are much like Van deGraf discharges, ie., very low current.)  As we all
> understand, voltage in a tuned quarter wave resonator reaches its
> practical maximum and current approaches zero in the limit at the top
> termination.

Are you referring to 'arrested streamers' or discharges to ground?
In the case of ground discharges from a Van De Graaf, I have measured
current impulses in excess of 1500A, which caused me no end of trouble
with nearby sensitive instruments.

Regarding the current impulses in the base stem of _arrested_ streamers,
I believe that Bert's suggestions of 1 to 10A are in the ballpark,
probably with time structures of <10uS.  With a bit of luck (and a
Fluke ScopeMeter), perhaps I'll catch a waveform or two.

-GL