[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A Puzzle

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 02, 1997 6:57 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: A Puzzle

At 06:45 PM 9/2/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
Malcolm,

I spite of all things in the primary circuit appearing to be the same, there
are a number of alterations and shifting values other than the secondary.
You already noted the coupling (very complex and nasty business indeed)  the
4" coil has lotsa' wire wound in a small area on the small tube and located
rather far from the primary.  The big coil must be quite close to the
primary coil but is sparsely wound in the main area of the mag field from
the primary.  Our own Dave Sharpe has noted a possible role for capacitive
coupling in the primary/secondary electrical dance.  This would be
considerably altered.  The smaller coil with high inductance should have a
higher voltage using the old L di/dt saw.  Back in the primary circuit, is
the gap doing better at quenching the lower K coupled coil's arc and thus
yeilding lower losses?

Sorry your question was not answered, but many other questions are posed in
search of possibilities.  Some careful measurements are needed like those K
values.  What were the form materials for the secondaries?  Different or
same material.  On one of our tapes, we graphically show the reduction in Q
using wood, paper, cardboard or any pourous material for a coil form.

I'd like to give you a difinitive answer or even a proposed quess but there
is a lot of data needed to compare them effectively.

Richard Hull, TCBOR