[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: microwave transformers

From: 	ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net[SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, October 30, 1997 1:15 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	microwave transformers

Anybody had  success using microwave transformers to drive a TC?
I've got two identical units removed from 900w ovens.  I tested them
with a Fluke meter and a 1:100 probe and measured the no-load
secondary voltage at 2250vac.  It occurs to me that one of these
would make an excellent plate supply for a vacuum tube coil.  They
even have a filament supply winding.  I'm a novice coiler, but the
next time I come across a cheap 833A triode I'm going to buy it & try
it.  Anyhow, just for grins I wired the primaries in parallel and
the secondaries in series (cores shorted together) and got 4600vac (I
don't know where the extra 100v came from).

4600vac doesn't seem like enough for a spark-excited coil.  A massive
cap would be required to match the low secondary impedance.  Also, it
seems like the heavy spark current would quickly eat even the most
robust gap electrodes.  Anybody know how to make a workable
spark-gap TC with these beasts?

Greg