[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Solid State Neons and TCs

From: 	Thomas McGahee[SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, October 29, 1997 3:36 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Solid State Neons and TCs

Fellow Coilers,
Someone on the list recently mentioned that they might try running their TC
with a solid state neon transformer.

Has anyone out there actually tried it? Since they run at a frequency of many
kilocycles per second, I would think that there might be a problem using these
(unless they are rectified and used to power a HV DC supply). The main cap is
going to see a high frequency instead of the normal 60Hz, and I would think
that such a state of affairs would not allow the cap to charge to a very large
voltage.

My brain tells me that they are not going to work well, but I am interested in
gathering FACTUAL data, so if anyone has tried using these beasts, please share
the results with the rest of us.

Thanks!
Fr. Tom McGahee