[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rubber toroids [ graphite ]

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, October 25, 1997 3:19 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Rubber toroids [ graphite ]

On Saturday, October 25, 1997 8:45 AM Harri Suomalainen
[SMTP:haba-at-cc.hut.fi] wrote;

> I just descovered one good point in using copper chlorides: if you make
> a lot of PCBs you'll get lots of copper chloride for free. You're able
> to recycle the copper dissolved from from PCBs. I actually did that some
> years ago when I just happened to have no other copper salt around :)

That is why I had so much copper hloride lying around, at that time I was
working at a chemical milling plant and there was several hundred barrels
of copper chloride lying around from etching printed ciruit boards with
ferric chloride. The ferric chloride disolves the copper forming copper
chloride and it precipitates out a fine iron sludge.

> I think I've also seen copper plating with *no* copper solution when
> the copper came actually from the copper electrodes dissolving slowly.
> Great if you have pieces of copper to be distroyed I guess. :)

Yep, you use hydrochloric acid as your electrolyte. The electric current
accelerates the reaction of the hydrochloric acid with the copper and forms
copper chloride and releases hydrogen gas (don't smoke while doing this).

Again remember the one downfall of using copper chloride is it plates fast
and this results in courser deposits of copper which increases the tendancy
to flake. It's a good idea to burnish down the copper after your done
plating and a second plating of either nickel or chromium will make not
only a more durable finish but a better looking one at that! BTW if you use
copper sulphate and you want an even finner finish of copper deposite add a
little sugar to the plating soloutine, it acts as an inhibitor and slows
down the plating process, in theory it should work with the copper chloride
too but I've ever tried it.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/