[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- MICROWAVE POWER TRANSFORMERS

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Wednesday, October 22, 1997 12:17 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- MICROWAVE POWER TRANSFORMERS

TL>From: "Alan G. Pope" <agpope-at-phonetech-dot-com>
TL>Subject: MICROWAVE POWER TRANSFORMERS

[ ... ]
TL>I stripped down an old J. C. Penny, large size home unit, and found a big
TL>brute that is rated at a 13 amp draw off the 115 V power line, and has a
TL>secondary of maybe 20-22 gage wire. The secondary output is well in excess
TL>of 1 KV (it pegged my meter at 1KV). I'll have to make a high-voltage probe
TL>so I can measure it.

TL>Anyway, the things have got some muscle, and should be useful for a number
TL>of different projects.

        If any want a  =real=  microwave transformer (the kind  =real=
        men use), investigate the used-restaurant-equipment market.
        Or better - the used-industrial-equipment market.

        Some of those will really cook your goose (and the rest of you
        also as well, if you're not careful!).

                            - - - - - - - - -

        Note:  Determining the output of a high-voltage transformer
               does not require a high-voltage probe or meter of any
               kind whatsoever -- and -- for safety sake none such
               ought to be used.  Ever.  (Which is fairly infrequently).

        1) - Get thee to a Radio Shack store (or its ilk, kin, or kith)

        2) - Buy a 6-volt (or thereabouts) transformer.

                        Else - buy a  =center-tapped=  12-volt
                        transformer and use 1/2 the secondary
                        to get your 6-volts.

        3) - Connect the primary of the 6-volt transformer to the
             120-volt line.

        4) - Connect the 6-volt secondary to the  =primary=  of the
             high-voltage transformer.

        5) - The output of the high-voltage transformer will now be
             at 5% of what it would have been if driven by its normal
             120-volt input instead of the 6-volt test voltage.
             Follow?

                        6/120 x 100 = 5%    (Trust me)

                  For a  1000-volt transformer, the output will now
                  be a safe, sane, 50-volts. Which any bright 10-year
                  old (or foggy-thinking adult) could be trusted to
                  measure.

        For real high-voltage transformers (say 25,000 volts) simply
        compound the felony --

        Proceed:

        6) - Get a  =second=  6-volt transformer.

        7) - Power the second from the 6-volt output of the first.

                That is,  connect the first transformer to the 120-v
                line as per usual.  Use its 6-v. output to drive
                the primary of the second 6-v transformer.

        8) - The second transformer will now be delivering 0.3-v
             output.

        9) - Connect this source of 0.3-v. to the 120-v primary of
             the 25,000-v high voltage transformer.

                The 0.3-v amounts to 0.25% of 120-v.  Ergo, the
                output of the 25,000-v. transformer will be
                62.5-v.

                Which any (ever so slightly more advanced) 10-year
                old can measure.

                          0.3/120 x 100 = 0.25%

                                  or

                            5% x 5% = 0.25%

                                - - - - - - -

        Like and similar results may be obtained by using a series
        string of incandescent light bulbs and tapping across
        one (or more) of the bulbs, i.e. using the string as a
        resistive voltage divider.  --For those who live in those parts
        of the world (2 or 3, I believe) where there are no Radio
        Shacks.

        A variable autotransformer (e.g. "Variac") can likewise
        be employed but this is somewhat hazardous unless run
        thru a step-down transformer.

                                - - - - - - - -

        While I'm pontdefecating --

        A meter used to measure the output of a transformer should
        =always=  be connected  =before=  the power is applied (unless
        your aim is to cook your meter (and your goose)).  That goes
        twice-over (and double) in the case of high-voltage measurements
        (this is for those of you who still want to run out and spend
        $200 for a high-voltage probe so you can test oven
        transformers).

[ ... ]

                                            Mentally operating at full
                                            voltage, in -- Detroit, USA

                                            Robert Michaels

        FINAL EXAM:

        Joe Blo (from South Kokomo) sells his kilovolt meter at a
        rummage sale for $15 and buys two 6-volt transformers at
        Radio Shack.

        Each of the two transformers has an un-tapped 120-v.
        primary and an un-tapped 6-v. secondary.

                A) -- How many different voltages may be
                      obtained from these two transformers using
                      only the 120-v. house current as power
                      source and no other devices or equipment?

                B) -- Extra credit:

                        What are those voltages?

        Answers:

        Will be distributed after all exam papers have been turned
        in.   Those failing will be excluded from the High-Voltage
        Laboratory until shocked into their senses.

        (Hint there are =more=  than 8 different voltages obtainable)