[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pole pigs in the UK

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:54:01 +0100
From: Julian Green <julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Pole pigs in the UK

Mostly or UK coilers:

Im the guy that rang around the electricity board to get a pole pig.  In
the end I got 2 for 30 quid (sold as scrap).   If you want to get one then
the department you need is the transformer work shop where they re-furbish
used transforers.   5KVA or 10KVA pole transformers are scrapped these days
as their rating is too low.  If you ask them nicely they will change
the oil and give them an insulation test before they give them to you.

The type you want:

	Single Phase
	Primary 11Kv
	Secondary 240V
	5KVA or 10KVA (dont ask for anything bigger as still use these)

Explain you want it for tesla coil use or scientific experimentation else
they will think you want it to steel electricity from the HV overhead cables.

If this is you first coil I highly recommend that you go for smaller powered
stuff first of all.   By all means build a decent size coil (7" - 10" secondary)
resonant frequency 150-200 KHz, but power it with a 10Kv neon transformer it
is much easier.   Having got the coil working switch to the pole pig.

If you want to try the pole pig first then be perpared for lots of blowen
fuses and possible electrocution!   You will be making lots of adjustments
to your coil to get it setup, one mistake and good night!   Its best to stick
to low power for this, here speaks the voice of experiance, zap - ouch!

I believe that I am here to tell the tail due to my current limited neon.

My coil:

	Primary:	11 turns 3/8" copper tube
			inside diameter 10"
			outside diameter 21"
	Secondary:	770 turns magnet wire wound on 7" yellow gas pipe
			21" long

			(the yellow gas pipe is good stuff as it is made
			from polyethelene - its abit thick, but this is OK
			due to its near zero losses - better than PVC as
			you don't have to seal it.  Available from gas
			board scrap yard)

	Primary Cap:	Home made poly foil 0.03uF housed in more gas pipe.
	Spark Gap:	Single Static
	Power Supply:	10KV -at-50mA neon trnasformer (RFC protection)
	Output spark:	22" point to point

Same coil running on pole transformer and rotary spark gap - 45" spark.

Julian Green