[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Latest results of 12.5" coil

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 08:15:00 -0500
From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Latest results of 12.5" coil

Hello Rodney:

Good job on getting your new 12.5" secondary coil up and making sparks.  As
you proceed with the fine tuning effort over the next few months I would
expect your sparks to grow.  Boy, I wish I knew someone that would stop by
with a big pulse discharge cap like your friend Jason did.  I do agree with
your comment about "it's time to go outside".  Your sparks could get much
too exciting to stay in a small area in the future!
I did try to calculate your systems characteristics and I'm showing
secondary resonance in the area of 82 Khz.  This figure may not be accurate,
I must mention that I used a system designed for a tight wound coil and I
really don't know the impact on inter-turn capacitance for your situation,
with the space winding.  This should still be in the ball-park.  If this is
close, the next item was to calculate the required primary inductance based
on your .15 mfd cap.  I think you would see a benefit with two more turns in
your primary.  One to use and one as extra, so to speak.  My calculations
suggest resonance would occur at 5 turns.  When I did these same
calculations for my present coil, I ended up needing about 2/3 of a turn
more than what the calculations suggested--I never really determined why.  I
believe you are already tapped at the end of your primary, so this might be
the correct path to try.   I would also start planning for a much bigger top
load.  A toroid more in the area of 8" by 40", or even bigger could make a
substantial improvement in spark output, if your power transformer can
deliver the additional power to cause breakout.  This would also lower the
resonant freq.. more and require even more primary turns for resonance.
Good luck with your coil work.

Chuck Curran