[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Input power measurements

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:33:18 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Input power measurements

> similar.  I do have a small thermocouple heater unit, Weston
> model 9997 i believe, that says "range uA 100".  I'm not sure
> how or if this can be used.

How about an appropriate resistive shunt? Or, a current transformer of some
sort?

> The distortion is causing the very peak of the sine waves to be
> pinched somewhat.  Also, the positive and negative half cycles
> are not symmetrical, the positive one is wider.

The tops of the sine wave being pinched might be third harmonic distortion,
which tends to create that sort of effect.  I don't recall what sort of
circuit you are driving, but the asymmetry between pos and neg half cycles
might be from your spark gap doing a bit of rectification, particularly if
the two metals are dissimilar.