[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment. (and more tests!)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:03:28 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment. (and more tests!)

Hi Terry,
             I have another comment on your results that may interest
you...

> From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Non-Linear Coil Winding Experiment. (and more tests!)

<snip>
>         One thing that blew one of my pet theories to hell is that the
> quarter wavelength for a 235.6 foot long wire is 1043.7 kHz.  All these
> coils exceeded that frequency considerably (so much for worrying about wire
> length vs frequency).  I tried very hard to find a lower resonant frequency
> but it simply wasn't there.  The fields around the coils were consistent
> with a quarter wave resonance so I am sure I didn't hit an off harmonic.  It
> took me awhile to find it up at 1.6 MHz.  All the coils were tested one
> after the other with no change to the test setup.

That is par for the course IMHO. I have done much the same as you in
the past and came to the realization that in trading C for L in
coiling the wire up, the drop in C is not compensated for by the
increase in L and there is a very good reason why this happens: in a
single layer coil, there is less than optimum mutual inductance
between turns for the coil as a whole.

Malcolm
<snip>