[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Newbie question

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 11:16:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: student_of_agoshtas <ceg4760m-at-cs.wright.edu>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Newbie question (fwd)

Hello all.  I'm new to coiling and I have a few basic questions regarding
coil construction.

1.  What are some good products for coating Tesla secondaries?  I've seen
acrylic-based dielectric sprays out there, but they're 3x the price of
your run-of-the-mill spray on acrylic from the hardware store.  In
particular, I don't want to use a product that will attack the enamel on
the wire.

2.  Has anyone built a HV switching supply for a Tesla?  I'd like to build
a 15 kVDC supply using an off the shelf switching controller IC from
National Semiconductor.  The tricky part will be the boost-transformer.  I
thought I'd use a U or toroid core of 77 type ferrite wound with a 1:125
ratio.

Any comments, suggestions, or "For God's sake, don't do that"s would be
greatly appreciated!

Aric