[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: safety gap

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:16:16 -0500
From: "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: safety gap

to: Kevin

When your primary LC tank circuit resonates the voltage rises to a value
usually twice the AC rms potential of the supply transformer.  This higher
potential must be blocked from the transformer or else it will quickly
break down the insulation in the transformer.  RF chokes (inductors) or
resistors (which spoil the "Q" factor of the system" usually form the first
line of blocking between the tank circuit and the transformer.  Many
experimenters place a final block using a safety gap which discharges any
overvoltages safetly to ground before it can enter the transformer
secondary coil.  Safety gaps are usually set at a value of 1/16 to 1/8 inch
over the normal flashover point of the transformer.  Any overvoltage will
then fire to ground.  If your system fires too often it first indicates
poor tuning, and second, if it continues after sharp tuning,  it indicates
your coefficient of coupling (which is determined by pri-sec geometry) is
usually too high.  Raising the sec coil in small increments of 1/8 inch
until everything calms down usually helps.

Hope this is of assistance.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net