[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- variac rewind

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:59:48 PDT
From: Mad Coiler <tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: RE- variac rewind

Hmm, good question. Maybe its a LED. But according to 'The Superior
Electric Company' it is a Luxtrol Light Control. Input is 120V single
phase. Also listed is Max Amps = 50, Max Watts = 6000.

>                No. 12 wire  (I assume that's # 12 - AWG,  I'm
>                not up on Botswanian [Or Hotmail-ian] wiring standards
>                these days) -- No. 12 wire is supposed to carry no
>                more than 25 amperes.   And that is in  =free air=.
>                All wound up inside a transformer it surely would
>                have to be de-rated.   It can take 50-amperes
>                and still not be hot enough to toast a decent
>                slice of bread, but such is like going out on
>                Saturday night without a condom -- risky business.

Thats another good point. I wont use Hotmaillian this time however. i
was thinking the exact same thing about the wire gauge. But the motor
shop I took it too put a micrometer on it and it is indeed #12 (American
Wire Gauge). I could tell that by looking at it though. But here is
something else to consider; half of the variac (the high side) is double
wound in parallel. Translating from Hotmaillian; there is two coils that
our wound in parallel, one turn of coil A then one turn of coil B and
alternating all the way to the end. If my accent still shows I will
attempt to draw it out.

N    Wiper                H
|      |                  |
|      V                  |
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|
           |OOOOOOOOOOOOOO|

OOO = coil

<SNIP>

>        Such sparks will rapidly cause pitting of the windings
>        (not to say the wiper itself) which will increase the
>        sparking, which will increase the pitting, which will
>        increase the sparking, which will increase the pitting,
>        which will increase the sparking, which will increase
>        the pitting, which will increase the sparking, which
>        will make you sorry you ever thought of rewinding (not
>        to say writing -- your post).

That I did realize (because that is what happened to the variac). The
wiper was not making good contact and several windings were severely
burnt and pitted.

>                             - - - - - - -
>
>        Make it easy on yourself:  Get a job slinging hamburgers
>        for a few days.  Then you can buy a real Variac (clone
>        thereof more likely), and use your # 13 wire for something
>        you can't buy so readily if at all  (Hint: It starts with
>        T  [and ends with c-o-i-l] ).

I do have a job, and it isnt slinging burgers. Unfortunately the pay
isnt much better and what I do get paid has been goin to school and to
Tektronix.

>                In this burg (pardon the expression) you can
>                easily make $25 per shift slinging  (that's
>                after taxes).  In four shifts you can buy
>                any of a number of used Variac (clones), and
>                within a month you can rule the world (Variac
>                wise).  It's the American way.  (Don't know
>                about Botswania - or wherever that "Hotmail"
>                Domain is).
>
>                                        When it comes to pissin',
>                                        I prefer porcelain, in
>                                        -- Detroit, USA
>
>                                        Robert Michaels,
>                                        Sane Coiler

am like a mad scientist. I thought that was pretty cool but it just
didn't sound that good, so I adapted it to Mad Coiler. Whats wrong with
using my CB handle anyways?