[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Input power measurements

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 17:25:56 -0400 (EDT)
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Input power measurements

All,

There has been a great deal of discussion on the list concerning
distortion of the ac input power waveform.  Today, I monitored
across the input power line using a scope during the operation of
my 12kV, 30ma, neon powered, 42" spark TC.  The waveform was
seen to be clean and undistorted at all times.  I have seen distortion
in the past using a larger coil and a higher break-rate, but apparently
the use of a 120 BPS sync-gap at these low (740 watt) power
levels does not cause noticeable ac waveform distortion.  It has
always seemed to me that a 120 BPS sync-gap should give a
relatively smooth cap charging effect.  Having viewed the waveform,
I feel confident in trusting the reading of my lab-type Weston
wattmeter in this application.  It also proves (were there any
doubters? :)) that neon trannies can draw more than double their
rated power when used in a resonant charging scenario.  I'm
measuring and observing at the wallplug, before the variac.

John Freau