[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Re: Get Your Oudin Coil Plans Here

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 22:16:00 GMT
From: Robert Michaels <robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE- Re: Get Your Oudin Coil Plans Here

        The tube to be used is the scarce and treasured '01.

        The '01-A is rather different and will not work in Strong's
        application.   (The '01-A can still be found here and there
        today.  If you happen upon a genuine '01 you likely could
        take the next week or so off work.  It it's in working con-
        dition, take a month off.  If it's brand new and in the
        original carton, start to plan an early retirement! ( -- They's
        ain' makin' no  mo' o' dem kind, sonny [not even in Red
        China - or the Czech Republic] )

                        And if I find you making an ersatz
                        x-ray machine out of one ---
                        You'll have me to answer to, personally
                        (There.  That oughta scare the pants off of
                        you!)

        The preceding apostrophe is crucial.  It stands as a sub-
        stitute for the numeral 1 or 2 or 3 or ...

        In it's time, different manufacturers would prepend a numeral
        of their choosing (unique to their company) to an industry
        standard type-number.

        Thus a 101 is the product of one maker, a 201 of another
        maker, a 301 of a third maker, etc., etc.  Yet all of these
        tubes nominally have the same electrical specs.

                        It escapes me which manufacturer used
                        which numerical prefix, but, for the
                        sake of example,  RCA might = 1,
                        Stromberg Carlson might = 2, Cunningham
                        might = 3,  Western Electric might =
                        4, etc., etc., etc.

        If one wished to refer to a tube type generically, without
        reference to any particular maker, one substituted an
        apostrophe for the first numeral.  Thus, '01 for any tube
        in the family without regard to manufacturer.

        Unlike modern times, tubes with like numbers were  =not=
        uniform in characteristics from maker to maker.
        Thus, a 201 would  =not=  be entirely identical in
        performance to a 301.  So the prefix numeral was more
        than just a vanity thing.

                        People used to argue at great length
                        and sometimes quite heatedly over the
                        questions of whether a 201 (say) was
                        better than a 101 (for instance) in
                        a given circuit.  Sort of like we do
                        nowadays over "Navigator" vs. "Explorer";
                        or whether a hard drive interface is best
                        Super IDE or SCSI.

                                - - - - - - -

        Although I have no official standing to do so, I would
        like to respectfully request that you cease and
        desist at once from the use of foul, disgusting, degenerate
        words in your posts.

        Terms such as "Oudin"  (eeeech!) have no proper place on
        this, the  =Tesla=  List.

                                       Twenty-three Skidoo; The
                                       Bees' Knees; and Boop-Boop
                                       da Doop - to you, from