[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sonderman Makes Sparks

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 19:08:59 -0500
From: "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Sonderman Makes Sparks

To: Ed

Sounds like your reactor may be saturating and hitting very high impulse
current peaks which can produce the loud pops you refer to.  We have noted
this on larger coils if the cross sectional area of the reactor is not
sufficient to deal with the high peaks -- in a 5-6 kva coil the peaks are
upwards of 70 kilowatts for very short time durations.  These high current
peaks fire across the gap instead of providing controlled current to
recharge the HV caps in the tank circuit.  Hope this data helps and glad to
hear you are sparkin' again.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Sonderman Makes Sparks
> Date: Tuesday,October 07,1997 12:43 PM

When
> R is low (3 to 5 ohms) the ballast inductance needs to be low - for best
> performance.
>
> With the welder set on maximum and R = 4.0 ohms, I started to slowly
increase
> the rotary speed.  I got up to maybe 400 to 500 BPS, performance got much
> better and the safety gap started firing again.  I backed R off to 4.8
ohms
> and now get 57" sparks and an occasional firing of the safety gap.
>
> Well, that's it.  I am getting reasonable performance but not what I used
> get.  The coil is working well once I get the right combination of
> everything.  Now, what do I do next?  I want to get the primary current
up to
> 30 amps where I used to be able to run.  15A at 245V is about 3.7kva, I
> obviously want to find some combination that will allow me to put in as
much
> power as I have available which is probalby 7 to 8 kva.  Is it possible
that
> this 6" coil system just won't accept that much power?
>
> Maybe I need to loosen up the coupling some more.  Now the lowest turn on
the
> secondary is about an inch or two above the lowest turn on the primary.
I am