[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 17:47:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Charles Brush <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: R.I.P. one 14kV pole pig!

 [snips from Ed Sonderman's reply]

>Sorry to hear about the demise of your pig.   I have not heard of any others
>failing.

Thanks a lot Ed!  I was pretty pleased that the caps survived intact.  That
5kVA pig cost me $190, and while I am sad to lose it, the Maxwells were a
heck of a lot more expensive.

>Nice pictures.  Our coils are very similar except your primary looks to be
>wound at a steeper angle than mine.  When I used to run mine in the basement,
>I did have aluminum flashing (grounded of course) covering the tank circuit.

Yes, I've used a chicken wire screen over the tank in the past.  That will
be permanent from now on.  I though people might be interested in the
pictures.  I may not get to fully disect the pig until early November, but
I will definitely post more pictures (for anyone just tuning in...there are
some pictures of the interior of my blown pole pig at :
http://www.foundrygroup-dot-com/cbrush   ).  From now on it's permanent safety
gaps on the pigs, strike shields, and maybe bypass caps.  I just picked up
a whole lot of doorknobs at a hamfest that would be good for this.

>I have a new design to try out to fix the downward strikes - once I get the
>damn thing running again.  I tested this idea on my small 3" coil and it
>works well.  I have a 5 x 40" toroid mounted on the secondary.  On top of
>this I place a cylinder 18" tall and maybe 24" in diameter made of aluminum
>flashing rivited together at the ends.  On top of this sits a 5 x 33" toroid.
> All the discharges should leave from the top toroid and not be able to or
>want to go down toward the primary.  I'll let you know how this works,
>someday soon I hope.

I will be interested in hearing how that works!  Good luck with your coil's
gremlins.

Charles