[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sonderman saga - Tuesday

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 14:07:18 -0600
From: zambelli-at-mail.iolinc-dot-net
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Sonderman saga - Tuesday

> Date:          Tue, 30 Sep 1997 22:17:05 -0600 (MDT)
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Sonderman saga - Tuesday
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

	I had the exact same problem you have. My system uses a 100:1 1.5
kva potential transformer and a .031uf primary cap. When I first set
the system I put an arc welder in series with the primary of the
transformer. As I turned the voltage up on the coil I noticed it was
zooming up way too fast. With 25v out of the variac the actual
voltage to the primary of the transformer was nearly 70v. My rotary
spark gap fired erratically and the output of the coil was poor. The
voltage and current to the primary of the PT were going nuts. The
voltage would fluctuate between 25v and 70v and current consumption
varied accordingly. I quickly gave up on using the welder.
	Next I put a 3 ohm resistor in place of the welder. The operation of
the coil was then perfectly normal. I saw no resonant rise as I did
with the welder and the rotary fired normally. I didn't like losing
heat in the ballast resistor so I removed it. The coil ran much
better with no current limiting at all. It does not draw excessive
power and the spark gap works fine.
	I would recommend that you remove the inductive ballast from the
circuit. I don't use a pole pig, but my PT runs perfectly with no
current limiting. If your system is properly fused the worst thing
you can do is blow a fuse if you rotary or safety gaps power arc. You
could also try using a few ohms of resistance in place of the welder.
If you system is in tune and everything looks good I don't see
anything else but the welder that could cause your problem.

Joe Zambelli