[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Twin Configurations

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 15:39:28 -0400
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Tesla Twin Configurations

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
 > To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Tesla Twin Configurations
> Date: Wednesday, October 01, 1997 12:10 PM

<SNIP>
system.
> The disadvantage is that the resonator imbalance causes the base of

> the driven resonator to be at some elevated potential (small) with
> respect to ground.
>
> Malcolm

Sorry about my mistakenly mentioning that your twin had a core.  But
at least I got everything else right.

I really do want to voice one note of caution here. If you approach
either of these secondaries in mode (4) it will imbalance them both
and the connected base point will shift away from some (small)
elevated potential to some (much LARGER) elevated potential. This is
particularly true if you are one of those people that likes to draw
arcs from the secondary to either a grounded rod or your body. This
is what I meant by finicky operation. It can be easily disturbed by
nearby objects. ALL Tesla coils can be slightly detuned by the
presence of large objects, but when neither base is ground
referenced, the effects are much more pronounced. In my own table top
experiments using coils that were 4" diameter and 18" tall, coming
too close to the first secondary caused arcs to burst through the
poly insulation that I had placed as insurance between the primary
and (first) secondary. It went across 2" of air space and through 120
mils of poly. If you are aware of this problem then you can take the
proper precautions to prevent your coils from being burned.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee