[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: how to spin metal

From: 	Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz[SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 30, 1997 2:33 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: how to spin metal

Alfred A. Skrocki wrote:

> Now I know you guys didn't know what you were doing! There is NO reason to
> weld a toroid if properly spun. The seam is rolled into itself and is
> barely visable. If you needed to sand the finished toroid you DIDN'T use
> enough lubrication while spinning. For Aluminum or copper you should use a
> lot of tallow or soap to lubricate your tools and then you get an almost
> mirror finish just from the spinning, actually it looks like a wire brushed
> finish.

After reading what I could find in the WWW and thinking about what I can do
with the tools that I have, I am imagining the following procedure:
I would first cut in the lathe a cylindric wood block with the section of a
"negative half-toroid":
    _   _|_   _
   | \_/ | \_/ |
   ------+------

The block would be bolted to a headstock plate. Next, I would bolt to the
center of the block a circular sheet of aluminum or brass, or simply press it
there with the tailstock, and do the spinning by pressing it against the wood
block with adequate tools (rollers?).
After trimming the excess in the borders, I would have a half-toroid with
the hole closed by a flat plate. Two of these would make a toroid.
Can you give details on how to make the seam?

I am not sure if I will really try to do it, because my lathe can't cut large
pieces (is a 18 cm toroid useful?), and the lubricant would make a mess in
all my workshop...

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq