[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: Transformer Protection?

From: 	D.C. Cox[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 30, 1997 4:04 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Transformer Protection?

To: James Q

A simple inductor of 40-50 turns of #16 to #20 wound on a piece of 1 1/2
inch ID PVC tubing will clip the real HF spikes.  Additional protection is
afforded with a resistor in series with the HV output between this inductor
and your HV source, ie, ignition coil.  Resistance value is not critical.
We use a pair of 500 Ohm resistors, 50 watt rating, in parallel for 250
Ohms at 100 watts with neons.  With an ignition coil a single 10 or 20 watt
unit rating 150-200 Ohms will work fine.  These are vitreous enamel
resistor available at around $2.50 per piece directly from Digi-Key
Corporation, Thief River Falls, MN.  You can call their 800 number for a
free catalog.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net