[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Neons....Paralell or Series?

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Friday, November 28, 1997 12:39 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- Neons....Paralell or Series?

        Irrespective of "series" or  "parallel" there is something
        "seri-ous"ly skewed in your post.

        Dealing with rms voltages is of limited value in high-voltage
        engineering work.  I strongly urge you to consider only
        peak voltage.  In the case of 13.2-kv (rms) transformer, the
        peak voltage is 18.67-kv.   For the 15-kv (rms) transformer
        the peak voltage 21.1-kv.   If you use rms - you are "square",
        whereas you and your system should perform at their "peak"
        (okay?).

        Not knowing the voltages with which you are working is very
        poor technique.  Get a 6-volt transformer (Radio Shack, or
        elsewhere).   Feed the 6 volts into the 120-v. primary of
        each of your neon transformers.  Measure the resultant
        voltage at each neon transformer secondary.  Multiply that
        voltage by 28.28.  The result is the peak voltage output
        for the secondary of that transformer.

        Neon transformers may be  =paralleled=  with utter impunity
        if they have the same voltage ratings.  The resultant output
        power increase is highly beneficial in Tesla work.

        Neon transformers in  =series=  are a fool's delight.  The
        secondary-to-primary voltage stress is equal to the sum
        of the  =peak=  voltages.  This in a transformer which is
        already seriously over stressed in Tesla applications.
        The boost in voltage is of limited value:

                It is input  =power=  which puts the POW! in
                Tesla coils. (Input  =voltage=  only put "vol" in
                them  -  which do you want in your finished
                coil, POW! or vol?)

        Raising the primary voltage in a Tesla coil results in
        a geometric increase in expense in capacitor ratings,
        insulation/isolation problems, and safety.

                                        POW! is how -- in Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels

TL>From:  Matthew Mills[SMTP:megavolt-at-usa-dot-net]
TL>Subject:  Neons....Paralell or Series?

TL>Hi, I just brought home my old Beacon Radio 15Kv 30mA Neon

 [ ... ]