[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: primary and secondary diameters

From: 	Thomas McGahee[SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 27, 1997 2:19 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: primary and secondary diameters

> << Hi all,
>
>  I am working on building my first coil and I have found information
>  that has stated that the primary should be twice the diameter of the
>  secondary and others state 3 times the diameter.  Which works best?
>  I was planning on using heavy guage wire #8 or so, how much difference
>  does it make between air wound and bundled?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Chris
>   >>

Chris,
Ed Sonderman answered most of your questions so I will not relate to
that part of your post. He didn't know what you meant by "bundled".

I HOPE you don't mean scramble wound. Not only would such a primary
be awful to look at, it would have some operational problems. The
primary windings can have several thousands of volts between individual
windings. You can sometimes get away with winding a close wound
primary (I notice John Freau has done this with some of his coils),
but the chances of flashover are great. In a scramble wound coil you
can easily have wires that are several turns away from one another
exceedingly close. A recipe for disaster in Tesla coils, I am
afraid. Also, how would you tap it? If you did not mean scramble
wound, then please explain what you mean by "bundled". It is not
a term *I* am familiar with either.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee