[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- flashing vs. whatever

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 26, 1997 8:44 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- flashing vs. whatever

       Aluminum foil in every imaginable thickness, alloy, color,
       backing material, pattern, etc. is available from the many
       who are listed in  "Thomas' Register..."  (Both under
       Aluminum and under Aluminum Foil).

                When you call, ask who distributes locally
                in your area.

       These same sources can also supply die-cut squares
       of foil -- sizes anywhere from several inches on a side
       to perhaps two feet.   Die-cut foil squares are available
       interleaved with paper if wanted.  Heck -- that gives you
       the equivalent of a capacitor right out of the box!  Just
       wire it, compress it, dunk it in your oil bath, and start
       Tesla-ing.

                Sorry - no specs. available on performance
                in Tesla circuits.

                                - - - - - - -

        For closer-to-home-sources:

        Look in the "Yellow Pages" for  =cash-and-carry=  wholesale
        groceries.  Such routinely have foil, film, paper products
        as well as food.   Aluminum foil in various sizes is a stock
        item and is often available in  =long=  rolls.  Some also
        carry the die-cut squares.

                                - - - - - - - -

        I strongly recommend using flashing over supermarket foil.
        Flashing is a little stiff, but trying to make a capacitor from
        supermarket foil is a lot like trying to knit a sweater
        out of spaghetti.

                                            Hold the sauce and the
                                            Parmesian, please,

                                            Robert Michaels
                                            Detroit, USA

TL>From:  Thomas McGahee[SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
TL>Subject:  Re: flashing vs. whatever

TL>> From:  Barton B. Anderson[SMTP:mopar-at-mn.uswest-dot-net]
TL>> Subject:  flashing vs. whatever
TL>> [ ... ]
TL>>
TL>> It seems those of you who have built this type of cap have used roof
TL>> flashing. I'm not real familiar with roof flashing, but isn't it a bit
TL>> thick for the purpose? At least the pulse caps I've seen have an
TL>> extremely thin aluminum sheet. What advantage wood roof flashing give
TL>> over say aluminum wrap bought at a grocery store?
TL>>
TL>> Just curious,
TL>> Bart Anderson

[ ... ]