[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC rectification question

From: 	Jim Lux[SMTP:jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 25, 1997 9:58 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: TC  rectification  question

> > Not to have redundant posts on the subject, can someone point me
> > in the direction of more info on the subject and general rectifiication
> > techniques (if any) at TC potential/frequency?

For the kinds of voltages encountered in a TC, you will probably need to
use one of the following kinds of rectifiers:

1) corona point - makes use of the fact that the corona inception voltage
and current are different for a positive point against a negative plane and
vice versa.

2) high voltage vacuum tubes - these have been built at 300-500 kV,
generally continously pumped with replaceable elements. Getting heater
power to the cathode is sometimes a problem.

I suggest checking out Craggs and Meek, "High Voltage Laboratory
Technique", published by Butterworth's, long out of print, but available
readily with interlibrary loan. They have examples of both of these, as
well as some construction details such as cathode and anode design for the
tubes, etc.