[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ignition coils

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Monday, November 24, 1997 9:02 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Ignition coils

Hi Matthew,

Power throughput for ignition coils is solely a function of applied
primary voltage. ???? you say.  It is basically two chokes wound on a
common core, one to put energy into the core, the other to remove it.
For a given applied primary voltage, energy stored is a function of
time the voltage is applied to the primary winding (until the current
peaks at Vapplied/Winding resistance). If you apply the voltage to
the primary for a time shorter than it takes for current to hit this
peak value, you can do it more often but there is no average power
throughput increase. It is pointless running above the break rate of
whatever engine it was designed to generate sparks for. All you will
do is increase core losses.
     The big "if" in the above picture is "what if I suck power out as
the primary current is changing while the voltage is applied to the
primary?" This is known as forward mode operation. You can do it, but
how much additional power you get is inversely dependent on the
leakage inductance and loading applied to the secondary, and leakage
inductance in these things is high due to the huge airgap in the core
(it is a rod, not a ring, right?). The car uses it in flyback mode
where energy is stored in the core during points dwell, and the
sparkplugs remove it when the points break.
     The upshot is: if you want to push more power through it, you
must apply a higher voltage to the primary. Energy storage is a
function of I^2 and I is a time-related function of Vapplied/Lp.

I can elaborate off-list if you like.
Malcolm