[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Project Coiler Fill In Form

From: 	Thomas McGahee[SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 20, 1997 3:17 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Project Coiler Fill In Form

BIG SNIP

> -Adam

> Adam Smith
> absmith-at-tiac-dot-net
> Epoch, Inc. Digital Music Project

Adam, Fellow Coilers,
I began such a project about a year ago. It was titled Project Coiler.
I received a few dozen submissions. I e-mailed the full set of info
I received to everyone who requested it. I occassionally receive
a new submission. I have also been entering whatever info I find in
Tesla List posts, but these are often very very sketchy.

Here is the latest revised Project Coiler FILL IN FORM that I am
using. This might be a good starting point for your project.

Please note that I am STILL collecting such data, and I would
appreciate it if coilers would fill out the form below and send
it to me whenever they finish building a coil.

When Malcolm was doing one of his studies earlier this year and requested
info, I sent him all the stuff I had collected. This info is for anyone
who wants it. Currently I only have it available as the individual
forms that people sent in, and the bits and pieces of info that I have
gleaned from the list.

Projects like this require the ONGOING cooperation of ALL of us if they
are to be truly useful. If *YOU* have not already filled one of these
forms in yet, please do so. You can always request forms from me. If I
receive a reasonable amount of new input for Project Coiler, I will be
happy to merge all the data into a single file and post it to the list
or make it available at one of the Tesla List FTP sites as a downloadable
file. I will ORGANIZE the data in a database format IF I get enough
data to warrant it.

OK, now here is the Snip Out Coupon that you can fill in and e-mail to me.

*******************************
Project Coiler
E-mail: tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com

*** Simply Leave Blank if Unknown ***

Modify this form to meet your needs. It is only a Guideline.
ALWAYS give units, such as inches, meters, cm, mm, etc.

Name of Participant:
E-Mail Address:
Where you live (Country/City/State):
Any Other Info you Think is Useful (Phone etc.):

Classification: (Small/Medium/Large)
Input Power Rating (Wallplug Watts Consumed):
Maximum Spark Attained:
USUAL Spark Length Attained:
Spark Quality (Hot/Wimpy/Red/White):

Type of Topload (None/Toroid/Sphere):
Dimensions of Topload (Diameters):
Topload Details (Commercial/Homemade):
Relevant Construction Details (6" Aluminum Dryer Duct & Pizza Pans)
Approximate Cost of Topload:

Type & Number of Transformer(s) (Neon/OBIT/Potential/Pole Pig):
Transformer Details (12KV 30ma Neon):

Wallplug Side Filtering (Describe & give Details):
HV Side Filtering (Chokes, etc. Give details):

Safety Gap on Transformer:

Type of Spark Gap (Fixed/Rotary/BPS/Sync. Rotary):
Spark Gap Details (Sizes/Number of Gaps/Spacing  etc):
Type of Spark Gap Quenching (None/Forced Air/Vacuum):

Capacitor Configuration (Normal or Unidrive):
Total Capacitance in MFD:
Approximate AC RMS Voltage Rating of Capacitor:
Type of Capacitor (Rolled/Plate/Commercial):
Relevant Construction Details (Type of insulation, sizes, thickness):
Type & approximate quantity of Oil used:
Total cost for Capacitor(s):

Type of Wiring used for AC Line Cord / Wallplug Side Wiring:
Type of Wiring used for HV and RF Circuit:

Primary Coil Type (Solenoid/Flat Spiral/Rising Spiral):
Primary Coil Angle of Rise (if applicable):
Primary Coil Material (Copper Tubing/Copper Wire/Aluminum Tubing):
Primary Coil Material Thickness:
Primary Coil TOTAL LENGTH UNROLLED (25ft 50ft):
Primary Coil Inside Diameter:
Primary Coil Clearance between Primary and Secondary (1"  2"):
Primary Coil Outside Diameter (if applicable):
Primary Coil Air Spacing between adjacent turns:
Primary Coil Max Number of Turns:
Primary Coil Usual Tap From Center for Normal Operation:

Secondary Coil Form Material (PVC/Plexiglass/Polyethelene):
Secondary Coil Form Shape (Cylinder/Cone):
Secondary Coil Form OD (4" 6" 8" 10" 12"):
Secondary Coil Form Thickness (1/16" 1/8" 1/4"):
Secondary Coil Form TOTAL Height:
Secondary Coil Form Length Actually Wound:
Secondary Coil Form Length Bottom Not Used:
Secondary Coil Form Length Top Not Used:

Secondary Wire Type (Magnet Wire/Solid-PVC/Stranded-PVC):
Secondary Wire Insulation (if known  Formavar/Thermalize/PVC):
Secondary Wire Size (AWG # / mm diameter):
Secondary Close Wound? (Yes/No):
If NOT Close Wound, then Describe (give spacing details):
Secondary Number of Turns (Approximate):
Secondary Coatings Under Wire (3 layers of Varnish):
Secondary Coatings Over Wire (2 layers of Varnish):
Secondary Coil Grounding Method (Bolt/Copper Plate):
Secondary GROUND System (Size and number of rods in ground/water pipe):

If Secondary is raised/lowered for coupling adjustment, give details:

If Coupling K is known, give it:
If Details of Quenching (notch) are known, give details:

Operating Frequency WITH Topload (or Range):

Variac Details (Volts/Amps):
Usual Variac Setting (Volts for best performance):
Metering Details (Types of meters):
Current Consumption (if known):
Other info on Control Circuitry:

Problems encountered:

Have you Blown anything? (Describe):

Describe anything else about your system that you think is important:

Anything You Would Do DIFFERENTLY Now, with your wonderful hind-sight?:

Do you recommend this design to others?:

Thank you for sharing this information.
Fr. Thomas McGahee