[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

KV's and multimeters

From: 	MATTHEW A PRICE[SMTP:ch038map-at-mode.lanl.k12.nm.us]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 19, 1997 10:47 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	KV's and multimeters

Last night I finished the driver for the ignition coil useing a 555 timer.
I was surprised when I hooked the thing up and it actually worked!
especially considering I used a HV transistor I found in an ol TV without
knowning how many amps it could take or anything. The result was amazing
(hey i'm just your average 16 year old, so even though it wasn't too great
it was still exciting) The coil that used to put out only about 500 V now
makes sparks about 1/4 in long. My question is: is there to figure out the
voltage its putting out? My multimeter is a cheapie that only goes up to
1000 V. Also why does it spark to everything..even when its not grounded?

Matthew