[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: lots of questions??

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 18, 1997 1:47 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: lots of questions??

On Tuesday, November 18, 1997 8:56 AM Bert Hickman
[SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com] wrote;

> > How exspensive is the equipment  used in measuring tesla coils? hv meters
> > and capacitors?
>
> If you get the equipment used at Hamfests, they can be relatively
> inexpensive. A signal generator, frequency counter, RLC meter, and an
> oscilloscope all come in handy. Look for a vaccum-tube type scope, since
> the newer solid state versions are not as robust when used around Tesla
> Coils...

Also look for places that sell surplus electronic equipment, these places
are typicaly run by HAMs and tend to cater to HAMs. Sometimes they can be
found in the Yellow pages (phone book) but more often you hear of them by
word of mouth from HAMs and other electronics hobbiests, when you do
find them more times than not they only open up once or twice a week,
and the equipment tends to be oldish like mostly tube driven and
consequentialy is HUGE and consumes lots of power but they get the job done
and can take a good beating and come back kicking! I've gotten many an
oscilloscope from places like these and typicaly for $10 to $25 for working
units with specs ranging from 5 MHz analog scopes up to D.C to 100 Mhz dual
trace with trigered sweep and delay! I got a monster events counter/
frequency meter once for $15 and it worked up to 50 MHz! not bad for an old
tube driven monster. You can also build a lot of your test equipment from
plans in back issues of Popular Electronics and Electronics Now (formerly
Radio Electronics), there are even books devoted to building your own test
equipment. I built a digital capacitance meter once (measured from 1 pfd.
to 9999 ufd. and occupied a space of less than 6 inches x 6 about 2 inches
high) from one of those articles, cost me about $20 in parts (I already had
most of the parts salvaged from broken electronics out of the trash and
from surplus stores and swap meets).

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/