[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV Transformers in the UK

From: 	Mike Harrison[SMTP:wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk]
Reply To: 	wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 18, 1997 12:45 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: HV Transformers in the UK

>About 3 weeks ago I put out a request for help in getting an HV
>transformer in the UK, I had several helpfull responses so I thought I
>should summerise my reasearch to the list:-
>
>Neon / oil furnace transformers.
>	These are quite easy to obtain, but getting unit with ratings exceeding
>about 7.5Kv at 50mA is difficult, typical prices are around 70 to 100
>pounds.

 Is this for new or second-hand ?
It may be worth leaving your name with shopfitters and sign places in
case they strip out any old neons when refitting a shop.
>Microwave transformers
>	Difficult to buy new,
If you really want a new one, CPC do several (01772 654466). They sell
all microwave spares - magnetrons, diodes, caps etc. Transformers are
about 33 quid + VAT. But pricy, so a scrap oven is probably best!

>but easy to salvage from old mircowaves, they do
>have voltages which are rather low for Tesla coil work, but thier high
>output current can be useful, expect to pay around 50 pounds for an old
>microwave
Price seems a bit high - I'd start at a car boot sale and expect to
pay no more than #20-25. You can buy brand new ones for about #90!
On the subject of microwaves - I'm sure you could make a fearsome HV
DC supply using a mw tranny and a cockroft multiplier with the diodes
(9KV) and caps (0.5-1uF -at- 2.5KV).

One other suggestion I have is transformers for valve RF power amps -
these run at quite a few KV at reasonable currents. Amateur radio
rallies (US  translation : hamfest)  would be a good place to look.
You always find the valves (e.g. 4CX250) there, so there must be some
transformers out there somewhere!
It's probably also worth calling round a few electronics surplus
dealers, & leaving  your name in case they get anything - it's
probably the sort of thing that often goes for metal scrap due to the
limited use!
I frequently go to rallies, and will make a note of any suppliers etc.
who have suitable stuff and post them to the list.

   _/ L_/  Mike Harrison / White Wing Logic / wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk  _/ L_/
 _/ W_/  Hardware & Software design / PCB Design / Consultancy  _/ W_/
/_W_/  Industrial / Computer Peripherals / Hazardous Area      /_W_/